Traveling solo doesn't mean traveling alone; it means making new friends with other passengers that chose their voyage for the same reason you did: to discover, enjoy, and see the world on their own terms.
More and more modern explorers are taking vacations on their own. In an effort to welcome solo travelers, a variety of cruise lines offer specials for single-occupancy cabins and reducing or waiving the long-dreaded "single supplement" fee (the additional cost to cover the "missing" passenger).
So if you are looking for a solo cruise, where should you start? Here is our list of the best cruise lines for those who prefer to explore the world alone.
Best Cruises Lines for Solo Travelers
Honored as the “Best Cruise Line for Solo Travelers,” AmaWaterways offers an incredible river cruise experience for individuals who want to explore on their own—without paying any additional fees. Singles receive the service of an attentive crew that recognizes your individual preferences, plus you can mingle with fellow guests, join in on included excursions and enjoy all of the comfort of having your own spacious stateroom. Whether traveling solo or cruising as part of a larger group, AmaWaterways' single staterooms are the best way to experience the luxury of traveling on the river.
If you’re traveling solo or simply prefer to have your own stateroom when cruising with friends, Azamara offers fantastic singles rates on select voyages and boasts some of the best itineraries on the high seas. Azamara has always been popular with solo travelers, as their immersive voyages suit their adventurous, independent spirits.
Guests traveling solo will enjoy the superb food, impeccable service and authentic experiences that Azamara is famous for, plus they can meet and mingle with other like-minded guests with a variety of activities or simply relax and unwind in a private stateroom.
The cozy atmosphere on Seabourn's small ships assures solo travelers that they won't be overlooked and makes getting to know fellow cruisers very easy. In fact, one of Seabourn's lovely traditions is to have its officers and entertainers host tables at dinner almost every night, where solos receive special consideration and don't have to dine alone if they don’t choose to. As well, single travelers will be escorted across the dining room by the maitre d' or other staffer, which is a special touch.
With single staterooms aboard Queen Mary 2, Cunard now offers single-occupancy cabins (many with ocean views) on most ships, including the smaller Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria.
Solo travel means seeing the world on your own terms.
As elegant as all the other cabin categories and a bit bigger than what most other cruise lines offer, Cunard has made solo travelers a focus. From organized coffee gatherings to a host of daytime activities, solo travelers will always feel welcome and busy on board. Of course, there’s something to be said for relaxation too, so you will find plenty of personal space both inside and out.
Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Cruise Line was one of the true innovators in the solo cruiser segment with design-savvy cabins for one–dubbed "studios"–as well as the industry-exclusive extra of a shared solo travelers lounge, allowing for easy socializing between single cruisers onboard. During each of Norwegian's sailings there are plenty of opportunities to meet fellow passengers through a dedicated concierge, singles meet-ups, and special activities geared for those cruising alone.
More Options for Single Cruisers
- The Celebrity Edge ship by Celebrity Cruises features a new Edge Single Stateroom with an Infinite Veranda. This spacious stateroom provides solo travelers with all the benefits of a private veranda and all the perks of a traditional cabin at a price that makes sense.
- Named one of the "World's Best River Cruise Lines" by the readers of Travel + Leisure, Tauck’s river cruises are a great way for guests traveling solo to explore Europe. You'll be in the company of like-minded travelers with mutual interests that foster camaraderie and a crew that makes you feel welcome from the moment you step on board.
- Luxurious, all-inclusive Uniworld Boutique River Cruises offer meticulously planned itineraries ideally suited for solo travelers with open seating at every meal, small group excursions, and kindred spirits who share your passion for fresh destinations and a safe, convenient, and rewarding travel experience. Plus, they've waived or reduced the single supplement fees on many of their most popular itineraries.
- Whether you're experienced at solo travel or trying it for the first time, Lindblad Expeditions' welcoming on-board community, many group activities, and even their exclusive “roommate program” make traveling on your own a comfortable and rewarding experience.
- Star Clippers offers solo travelers a break on many trans-Atlantic crossings and selected Mediterranean sailings including France, Italy and Spain.
- Independent travelers on Regent Seven Seas Cruises can enjoy special, limited-time singles’ only pricing on select cruises. Embark on a solo journey to discover the awe-inspiring wonders of Alaska to the history in Northern Europe to the sun-kissed beaches of the Mediterranean to the iconic landmarks of Australia … the choice is yours.
Thinking about exploring the world on your own? Search our selection of voyages ideal for solo travelers or speak to a CruiseInsider advisor at 1 (877) 734-6858 for expert advice on maximizing your independent vacation.